Friday 19 November 2010

The "I Can" Attitude

"Why do you always say "no problem" to everything I ask you to do?"

That was what one of my bosses once said to me. "Whenever I ask anyone else to do anything, they roll their eyes as if it's too much of a problem. But you always say "No Problem".

Because it is "No problem", that's why. If it's something that can be easily achieved, then it's "No problem". And if it's something I've never done before then perhaps it's "No problem" to go and learn how to do it.

It's the "I Can" rather than the "I Can't" attitude. It's not about whether it's your job, or your role or what you're supposed to be doing. Going into something with an "I Can" attitude is so much better than going in with a glum "I Can't" attitude. It makes you smile and makes you happy when you can have "I Can" in your mind. The world seems like a better place and anything can be conquered.

Sometimes people tell me it's useless to chase my dreams because "I Can't" do them. But how does someone know you can't do something? How do they know you can't do it until you've tried? It's only through trying and either failing or succeeding that we know whether we can do it or not. And if we fail, we go back for another go. And another. And another. It's just a case of finding what works until that particular problem is solved.

Besides, do you think the world's best scientists, engineers, athletes, musicians, film-makers, actors, explorers, astronauts et al had an "I Can't" attitude? Damn right they didn't! They were filled to the brim with "I Can Do This!" It may take time, it may take several attempts but it can be done!

Let's have less of "I can't" and more of "I can!"

"I can!"
"I can!"
"I can!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment